My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

When A Stranger Calls (1979)

Black Christmas used the urban legend of the baby sitter getting scary calls better but this thriller does a good job of building suspense and creating a sense of terror. Carol Kane is wonderful as the babysitter and Charles Durning delivers an intense performance as the revengeful cop. The true star of the show is Tony Beckley as Curt Duncan, the crazy guy. He plays evil really well but what makes his tactics so frightening is that he’s a sick man unable to control his actions which makes you almost feel sorry for him, until you remember what he did. This is not a masterpiece by any means; but a nice well-executed film that will be remembered more as one of the films that Scream satirizes. This is too bad because it is a good film. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment