My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Triangle (2009)

This is a clever horror film that’s not ruined by figuring out what’s going on. Melissa George gives a dependable and intense performance as a woman on a sailing voyage with a friend and three other vacationers only to get stuck in the Bermuda Triangle. The filmmakers never says it’s the Bermuda Triangle so maybe that’s not true but regardless they get stuck and things go really wrong when they board a mysterious cruise ship without any passengers. The concept of the story could have back fired but the writers understood what they were doing from the beginning and that’s why I loved this film. Grade: A-

Spoiler Alert:  My favorite image has to be when a dying Emma Lung crawls away from George onto a deck of corpses of herself, all at various degrees of decomposition.  This isn't really a scary film, but it's this scene alone that echoes a sense of doom that only comes from the best of horror. 

No comments:

Post a Comment