My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Snowtown Murders (2011)

I have one word for this brilliantly acted and stylized film: boring. Okay, that’s a bit harsh. A lot of disturbing and horrific activities transpire during the course of this film. You, the viewer, will only see about ninety percent of it but I know John Bunting and his followers killed and tortured a bunch of people. How do I know this? Because it’s a true story and I read about it afterward on the Internet. Too bad director Justin Kurzel decided to dilute this incredible true story with vague references and scattered unnecessary textural shots. Too bad the various victims in his story come and go without much introduction or closure. I kind of understand that the main character, Jamie, is mental ill and maybe Kurzel wants his audience to see the world in a mental funk too, but it annoys more than enlightens in this case. As stated, the acting his remarkable and intense, especially from Daniel Henshall as Bunting.  If you’re interested in great performances you might enjoy this one. If you like great imagery without a plot you’ll find this film wonderfully stark and artful. But if you’re like me and want a good story told well you’ll be hugely disappointed. Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment