My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Paranormal Activity 4 (2012)

They did it again! I never would have expected directors Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost of being able to sustain the stationary camera concept so brilliantly used in this franchise created by producer Oren Peli . Yet they did with a believable thought-out use of laptop cameras. While not nearly as scary as the first two films, what I enjoyed about these last two is how they expand on the story. We now know who the demon is, it has a name—Tobey. And we know that Katie is an evil demon-possessed killer and that Hunter is important for some witches coven.   There’s still a lot of mystery but the humor and dreadful awkwardness is still evident.   I really don’t see how they can continue but they did it this time why not. It’s really a no-brainer for the studios. These films can be made with very little and they make a guaranteed bus load of money. While I still think the first three make for a great trilogy, I’m having a lot of fun seeing where they take this story.   It’s inevitable that they’re going to screw up at some point and drag this concept to the ground but hopefully I’m proven wrong. For the next film, if I had any request, would be the introduction of a good force so Tobey and folk don’t have such an easy time getting what they want. And what is it they want? I guess we’ll have to wait until next October to find out. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment