My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Night of the Demon (1957)

Known as the Curse of the Demon in the US market, this British horror film from the ‘50s really impresses, even today. An American psychologist, John Holden (played by Dana Andrews), arrives in London for a conference. When he arrives he learns that his English counterpart was killed. This leads him into contact with an evil magician of the dark arts named Doctor Karswell (played brilliantly by Niall MacGinnis) who curses Holden to die in a three days. To prevent his death Holden must overcome his own skepticism and unravel the mystery of a strip of paper with runes on it. The Ring and especially Drag Me To Hell borrow from this film which was based on M.R. James' story Casting the Runes.  I highly recommend this other gem from director Jacques Tourneur.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment