My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, October 5, 2012

Silent House (2011)

I hate when I watch a film only to realize it's a remake of a foreign film.  I wish I would have seen the original but I didn't.  This is a very flawed film.  I like the premise but the film spends way too much time with Elizabeth Olsen running around in a house crying in fear and acting irrational.   The story is basically a young woman (and her cleavage) in a house with a mysterious intruder hunting her.  Is it supernatural or something more; this is what keeps the audience interested.  Her father was attacked and when her Uncle show up they decide to investigate further.  It's dense with horror movie cliches, like her tripping as she runs away and her able to hide from her intrude in a place where he'd obviously see her.  The film doesn't really get good until the last fifteen minutes where an image of a toilet on the wall running with blood perked my excitement.  This kind of imagery should have happened earlier in the film.  Chris Kentis and Laura Lau made a much better horror film in Open Water, so they know how to tell a good story.  But I was disappointed by this one, even with a twist that satisfies.  Grade: B-       

No comments:

Post a Comment