My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)

There's a cool sub-genre in horror films that I like to call PostModern Horror.  These are films that take the formulas and cliches we're all familiar with in the genre and flip them upside down.  Scream was one of the first films to do this and films like Shawn of the Dead have continued the tradition.  Most of these films are comedies but that doesn't mean they're lacking any horrific moments.   This one directed by Scott Glosserman is about a documentary film crew following a young man named Leslie Vernon on his first killing spree as a slasher.  While reminiscent of a film like Man Bites Dog, this ones plays more like a comedic tribute to slasher films of legend (Michael, Jason and Freddy) than a dark satire.   Angela Goethals and Nathan Baesel have great chemistry on screen and its their back and forth that makes this film work.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment