My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Splinter (2008)

Another effective horror film that follows the trapped in a house horror movie concept with some fresh ideas; (okay, maybe not fresh but a blending of monsters that feels original and works well at being threatening and scary). The story starts off as a joint kidnapping thriller where an ex-con and his girl friend take hostage another couple on vacation. But at a gas station they are attacked by a mysterious monster-infection that’s an impressive addition to the movie monster canon. The success of this film is in the script and the acting. The screenwriters Ian Shorr and Kai Barry create real moments of terror mixed in with characters that “think” and believably try to “solve” their way out of their situation. I love when I see this instead of following character who act like morons. It’s especially helpful that director Toby Wilkins  knows what he is doing and that's focusing on his cast which is very strong with Shea Whigham standing out. Horror Movie Month 2012 is on a roll. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment