My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Salo or 120 Days of Sodom (1975)

There’s a reason this Italian commentary on fascism is considered one of the most controversial films ever made. While not really a horror film in a sense, it is a shocking and disturbing parable worthy of the genre. Yet while new such films like Human Centipede shock for the sake of entertainment and spectacle this film directed by Pier Paolo Pasolini shocks to inspire thought. This is a true work of art that insults the viewer with twisted people of power abusing those without. A warning: this is for mature audiences only and in mature I don’t just mean age but in having an intellectual understanding of history, theater of cruelty and the Marquise De Sade of which this film bases much of its depravity on. Grade: A

Spoiler Alert: One aspect of the film which I found out-date was the amount of homosexuality.  I'm not taking about the forced orgies, I'm talking about men consentually indulging in sexual relations.  I'm sure back in the'70s this was very offensive but this one part of the film no longer works as a disturbing image (or at least to me).  It doesn't ruin the original impact of Pasolini's message but it does show how norms change.

No comments:

Post a Comment