My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Black Sunday Aka The Mask of Satan (1960)

A witch is being burned at the stake, but a short rain storm douses the flames.  To kill her they use a spiked mask but before they can put it on she warns the mob witnessing her burning that she will come back to have her revenge.  This film is about her return as a Professor and his travel companion search the inside of a crypt and unknowingly awaken her.   This is so far my favorite film by Mario Bava.  The black and white cinematography enhances the horror while at the same time deluding the camp some.  You can imagine that back in the sixties people were flipping out about this gruesome film.   It's dated some but still enjoyable to watch with a thrilling conclusion.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment