My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Kwaidan (1965)

These four Japanese ghost stories are rich examples of the supernatural.  Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful in every way.  Masaki Kobayashi brilliantly directs these stories with that right amount of spooky mood and horrific irony.   The first story deals with a man who leaves his first wife to marry a second wife for wealth.  The second story is about a young man who promises a mystical woman of the snow that he did not see her.  The third story and the longest deals with a blind Biwa hōshi who is requested to sing for the dead and the last story is about a man who sees a ghost in the reflection of his tea.  Sure it's a little long and there's a battle sequence that starts off the third story which isn't really that important, it's still a fine film and worth watching.  These are so good I will probably watch these again.  Grade: A-     

No comments:

Post a Comment