My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Walking Dead (Seasons 1 & 2)

As a fan of the comics and of Frank Darabont I was ecstatic about this television show and now that I’ve seen the first two seasons I’m even more thrilled. It uses the comic as a bases but allows for an organic change to occur to become something new. Characters emerge not from the comics and entirely different events play out to keep readers like me surprised. The funny thing is that as I watch this show I’ve begun to see plot holes in the entire Zombie sub-genre which I’ll explain below, but as a dramatic survival show that has potential to a legendary work of the television medium.  This one is a winner, so far. Grade: B+

Zombie Plot Holes (or Developments I hope are talked about or I’ll be greatly Annoyed)

1. Zombies are dead so they decay. At some point they’re going to fall apart and be unable to walk and be a threat. How long will this take and when this happens what will happen to the show, being that it’s called the Walking Dead. (Or are they going to rename the show the Crawling Dead)

2. Would the entire population really be that devastated by a zombie plague? I understand there was chaos and the military just started shooting people for no reason but I don’t really buy it. They need to explain how this happened better, in my opinion.

3. Zombies are really not that dangerous and I find it silly how the writers have to find ways for zombies to sneak up on their victims (like they’re quiet ninjas) or their victims have to trip and fall to make it fair for the zombies to reach them.   In small numbers they’re slow, brainless things which any survivor should get used to really quick. They’re only dangerous in large numbers which could be avoided better.  Spoiler Alert: I mean the way Dale is killed is pathetic.  What should have been a powerful scene just had me angry?  The zombie just tears open his stomach like he's made of cheese.  How strong are these things?  I wouldn't be able to tear open a human stomach on my own.  I can barely rip through a piece of raw chicken.   

No comments:

Post a Comment