My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Creature of the Black Lagoon (1954)

This ‘50s creature feature is a technical wonder. The creature suit is fantastic for not only does it look great but it’s functional too. That’s where this film becomes more than just a monster film but a great spectacle, the underwater moments are riveting.  This is great work from director Jack Arnold.   The trumpet call every time the monster shows itself is super repetitive (and laughable) and the woman character is way too helpless. But the dueling scientists and the various ways the crew try to capture the monster add to the adventure.   It is dated and sexist, but it’s still a fun to watch.   Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment