My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dolls (1987)

Stuart Gordon makes wonderful horror films. They’re quirky circuses of horror and this one is a campy good time.  A girl and her selfish father and rotten stepmother find refuge for the night at a Doll maker’s cottage along with an optimistic young man and two floozies. The house is decorated with dolls and as dolls go they’re creepy and ready to teach a lesson on keeping the child within you. Sure it feels like an ‘80s horror film and the special effects look like special effects and the actors are acting like bad actors but it’s so charming to watch anyway; it just gives you a big smile, a perfect comedy for Halloween.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment