My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Nightmare on Elm Street Part 4: Dream Master (1988)

I knew I was in trouble when I saw Renny Harlin as the director. He’s technically not a bad director he’s just a generic one that picks bad scripts. In the game of horror movie franchises, it’s about this point, number 4, where things start to sour. If you’re looking for a scary thriller with lots of suspense then this Freddy Kruger outing will disappoint. If you want some good laughs and are looking for some surreal special effects that entertain the eye then you’ll find this one pretty fun. I’m in the middle. I wish the script was better because this one was really weak.  Basically the producers knew they’d make a killing at the box office so they threw a script together to reboot the Kruger-collecting-souls storyline with new characters, of course killing the characters from the previous film. You can see why Patricia Arquette didn’t reprise her role from the superior third film. Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment