My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, October 1, 2012

The Mummy (1932)

October is here and so begins my Annual Horror Movie Month, where I dedicate one month to one of my favorite genres.   I've been sorting my Netflix queue and researching the TV guide to come up with I hope a variety of spooky, gory and horrific entertainments.  To jump start the fun I selected this old Boris Karloff classic.  These classic horror films (primarily from Universal) are very much dated and I can't really believe anyone, even back in the '30s, were actually scared watching them.  But they are fun yarns to experience for those interested in the traditions of horror.  This one does hold up as an enjoyable and tame Dracula clone.  Karloff plays the title role of the Mummy of an Egyptian priest named Imhotep who comes back to life to find his beloved, now reincarnated as young woman played by Zita Johann.  It's not as visually dynamic as Dracula, directed by the same Karl Freund, but it's not boring and has a decent flashback sequence.  Then there's Boris Karloff who does an excellent job morphing into a role that's different than his famous Frankenstein incarnation.  Grade: B+  

No comments:

Post a Comment