My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, October 8, 2012

Pontypool (2008)

This intellectual horror film, with lots of dialogue and character interaction, puts a clever spin on the zombie genre. I wouldn’t call it ground-breaking but the concept is a fascinating theological invention. I don’t really want to give it away but some will be confused and won’t buy it or you’ll be like me and embrace it for the effort employed by screen writer Tony Burgress to make it work—and it does work. The film centers around a rock shock DJ up in Canada performing his evening radio show. Suddenly reports come in, unofficial, of a strange riot in their town. What an enjoyable film director Bruce McDonald made with some outstanding character work from actors Stephen McHattie and Lisa Houle. Rumors of a sequel are on the Internet so we’ll have to see if it gets made. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment