My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Silver Lining Playbook (2012)

With all the buzz about this one, I had to see it but my expectations weren't that high.  Wow, what a great film!  Just when I thought I had seen the best love story of 2012 (Ruby Sparks) this one comes around and takes the lead.  The story is about a bipolar ex-teacher played by Bradley Cooper who returns home after a stint in the mental hospital.  His only goal is to get back together with his wife yet a manic depressive young woman living nearby, played by Jennifer Lawrence, intends to put a stop to that.  Robert De Niro plays his father, a superstitious Eagles fan with a gambling problem.  What I love most about this film is how unpredictable it is.  It's plot seems as unbalanced as its characters.   Based on a book by  Matthew Quick and directed by David O. Russell, I won't be surprised to see this emotionally rewarding film get nominated for a bunch of Oscars. Miss Lawrence especially should get a nomination, she is simply a showstopper all the way through.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment