My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

High Hopes (1988)

Mike Leigh is an oddity in the world of cinema. His films are so full of life and intricate character exploration that it’s easy to forget these are actors on screen. While unique with colorful characters and quirky happenings, his films get lost in the shuffle of more expensive looking projects. Cyril and Shirley are a working class couple living in King’s Cross contending with Cyril’s snobbish sister and sleazy husband on their mother’s birthday.  The social clash between these two forces is hilarious and telling too.  You can tell a film is good sometimes by how much it stays with you.  Something tells me this is going to be one of those movies I ponder for a long time.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment