My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Irréversible (2002)


Told backward, this cruel and haunting film about a woman getting raped and the her boyfriend and ex-flame trying to find the monster who did it so they can punish him is the kind of film one wants to recommend but only to people who can handle it.  Director Gasper Noe creates a trippy experience that goes from awful to depressing.  Yet there’s an opposing beauty too that only adds to the tragedy.   Monica Bellucci and Vincent Cassel star, giving brave and emotional performances.   This really is a great morality play and what it says about revenge is unforgettable.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment