My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, January 4, 2013

God Bless America (2011)

Bobcat Goldthwait is a mad scientist of comedy and this latest film from him is about as funny as a black comedy can get.  Frank is a normal guy tired of America's meaniness.  When he finds out he has a brain tumor he decides to kill a teenage, spoiled-rotten, reality star before killing himself first.  Then he meets Roxy, a teenage witness who is as upset about our society of knuckleheads as he is and she convinces him to take her on a killing spree across America killing people who deserve it.  The irony is purposeful of course: people killling people for not being nice is messed up, but the message is clear.  There are a few tangents of preachiness but I wasn't bothered too much by them because they seemed to me spot on..   If you like a hardcore black comedy every once in a while with a clear-cut message check this one out.  If you like American Idol, watch Fox News and love babies, skip this one.  As for the rest of you, buckle your seat belts and prepare for an evil little ride.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment