My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, January 25, 2013

5 Broken Cameras (2012)

The Palestinian struggle with Israeli’s expanding settlements has never been so clearly presented before, at least for me. Emad Burnat, a Palestinian farmer and father of four, captures his point of view over the course of five years with five different cameras. This intimate approach gives the audience a front-row seat to the protests of a community trying to keep land they believe is theirs. The senseless violence as soldiers shoot (seemingly unarmed) protesters is harsh and completely uncalled for. I understand this is sensitive issue with generational resentment but from an outsider’s perspective it looks like a rich government shoving a small group of poor people out of their way so they can build their homes. I know it’s not as simple as that, there are many other issues, but the naked truth is that people are being mistreated and a film like this is important so we can hear their plea. Nominated for the Oscar this year for Best Documentary, I’m interested to see the other film about this issue nominated this year as a companion piece, The Gatekeepers. Ultimately this is an enduring film about real people struggling against impossible odds. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment