My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Footnote (2011)

Since I’m not going to be able to see that many of the Best Foreign Language films for this year’s Oscars I might as well watch one of the nominees from last year. This Israeli film tells the story of a father named Eliezer and his son named Uriel, both research scholars and professors on Talmud text (something of which I know less than nothing about and hence this film was my introduction), and how their embattled relationship is tested when Eliezer is accidentally named the winner of the Israel Prize when it was the more popular charismatic Uriel that was supposed to be contacted instead. Never has two men with different philosophies and temperaments dramatically hold the screen without actually speak to each other that much. From this film’s trailer I was expecting a more comical mistaken identity plot but while humorous at times this is a tense drama dealing with envy and resentment that builds to an artistic and ambiguous end worthy of many hours of discussion. I applaud Joseph Carter, the writer and director, for making such a complex and human story. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment