My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Danton (1983)

Maybe it was watching Les Miserables that made me want to see another story that takes place around the French Revolution or maybe it was my interest in history, I don't know, but I finally got around to seeing this film about George Danton and Maximilien de Robespierre and it was brilliant.  I don't know if there's a better film about the French Revoltion and the Reign of Terror.  While I know some history of that period, you don't need to know anything to enjoy this exceptional drama.  The politics of that period are pretty confusing but director Andrzej Wajda lets the drama of the situation take center stage instead of trying to simplify the details.  Gérard Depardieu is wonderful, playing a role he was destined to play.  This one is not to be missed unless you hate well-written costume dramas with top notch acting. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment