My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Life of Pi (2012)

When I heard Ang Lee was going to be directing the film adaption of one of my favorite books I became very excited.  Yet I never could have dreamed he would have have done this good of a job.   What a stunning achievement in cinematic storytelling.   Yann Martel's book is so rich with complex ideas on faith and the human battle with fear that I didn't think it could be crammed into a film.  I expected a good movie but much of its meaning to be watered down.  Yet it's not, it's one of the better adaptions I have seen.  There is a lot to praise about this magical and epic film.  The acting is wonderful, the special effects are incredible and the overall story is deeply moving.   I really don't have a thing to say bad about it.  And if you want to see it as it is meant to be seen watch it in 3D.  For those who think 3D can't heighten a film, watch this as proof that it can.  The technology just needs to be in the hands of a master storyteller like Mr. Lee.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment