My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jack Reacher (2012)

Having enjoyed one of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books many years ago I was excited to see this first outing of the character on screen.  Tom Cruise is perfectly cast and Christopher McQuarrie was the obvious choice for director and co-screenwriter (having created the recent classic The Usual Suspects).  Smart and well-made with a memorable car chase, it's too bad the studio released this entertaining thriller during such a crowded time.  I fear that it's not going to do enough business to earn a much deserved sequel.  I've love to see more of this character with Cruise playing him but these kind of quite thrillers just can't compete with Hobbits, mega-musicals and a Spielberg directed historical drama. I could be wrong (and I hope I am).  Maybe audiences will discover this one in its post-theatrical run and signal to the suits that Jack Reacher is worth visiting again.  There are plenty of books to pick from and I'm sure Cruise would love to have another franchise in his pocket.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment