My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Man Hunt (1941)

Fritz Lang’s first Hollywood feature is an entertaining thriller from the master who made M. British hunter Alan Thorndike is in Germany aiming his rifle at Adolf Hitler. Before he can squeeze the trigger he is captured. The Nazis want him to confess that he was working with the British Government so they have an accuse to jump start WWII.   Thorndike tries to convince the Major in charge that he was just proving how good of a hunter he was by performing a "sporting stalk" and that he never intended to kill the Furer.  While he is able to escape,  the Nazis hunt after him so they can obtain his signature and silence him forever. While excellent for many reasons, its one flaw for me was the way the female character played by Joan Bennett was written and played.  They made her way too doltish and Walter Pigeon’s treatment of her is quite condescending and annoying too.  Still this is Fritz Lang at the top of his game and well-worth watching. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment