My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Les Misérables (2012)

One of my regrets is never seeing Les Mes (as it is known in the theater crowd) live on stage.  So when I heard a film was coming out I was excited if a little nervous.  I was nervous because I've listened to the musical recording hundreds of times and my preconceived ideas could taint my viewing experience.  Well, even if all those years singing along . . . I mean listening to Claude-Michel Schonberg's score and Herbert Kretzmer's translated words from Alain Boublil and Jean-Marc Natel's French lyrics did taint me some, not enough to keep me from enjoying this triumphant musical experience.  It seems as if everything was done right.  I have a few nit picky complaints but nothing that prevents this film from being what it is and that's a sweeping operatic epic with emotional moments powerful enough to move mountains.  Hugh Jackman gives his best performance in work that would have guaranteed him an Oscar for Best Actor if he wasn't competing against Daniel Day Lewis this year.   Then there's Anne Hathaway who will probably get the Oscar.  Her solo of "I Dream a Dream" has to be one of the best moments in musical history.  This movie isn't for everyone.  If you don't like musicals or never liked Les Mes or you just can't stand seeing people in lots of pain then see something else.  But if you're like me, you need to see this one in the theater or you'll regret it.  Grade: A-.    

No comments:

Post a Comment