My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Unknown (2011)

Liam Neeson plays a scientist who arrives in Berlin with his wife only to get into a car accident when trying to go back to the airport to retrieve a bag.  When he finally is able to get back to the hotel, to resume his work for a convention, another man has taken his identity and his wife is insistent that she's never seen him before.  What starts as a promising beginning, quickly becomes an exciting thriller with an ending that barely holds up to even mild scrutiny.  That's not to say this movie sucks, it doesn't; I enjoyed it but I found my moral whistle in the back of my mind going off toward the end.  Neeson is terrific as always and the rest of the cast does a nice job supporting him.  Slick, exiting, fun and somewhat plausible, this is a nice rental but nothing more than that.  Grade: B. 

Spoilers: To explain the moral whistle comment above: At the end of the film the main character learns that he's a spy hired for a job and the man he thinks he was is a fiction or cover for his assignment.  I get that this experience has changed him but it doesn't change the fact that he's a killer.  Shouldn't he deal with some consequences or are we to believe that he's a good guy now and is a free?

No comments:

Post a Comment