My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, February 27, 2012

10 Most Anticpiated Films of 2012 (Commentary)

Now that the Oscars are over let's look ahead.  You know it'll be a great year for the movies when it's a challenge narrowing down a list to ten.  But here are my picks.

1. The Dark Knight Rises

How is this not the most anticipated film of 2012?  It's the final Batman film directed by           Christopher Nolan, the guy who re-invented the character for generations to come.  And if there's ever a talent capable of breaking the third film curse it's this guy.  I suspect that it'll be just as good as Batman Begins which would be fine with me.   

2. Brave

I'm always excited for Pixar's next film and from just the poster alone I'm ready for another masterpiece from the company that brought us Up, Wall-E and Toy Story. 

3. The Hobbit

If Guilleno Del Torro was directing this prequel to the Lord of the Rings (as originally planned) I would have put this on the top of my list but at least we have Peter Jackson coming back.  What I'm especially excited to see is how Jackson uses 3D, which I can imagine is going to be amazing.  Especially considering they're shooting using the most advance 3D technology.

4. Gravity

Alfonso Curin directs a science fiction film that is being kept a secret.  I'm sold.  This is the guy who gave us Children of Men and the best Harry Potter film in the series.   

5.The Master

A thinly-disguised telling of Ron Hubbard, the guy who dreamed up the Scientology religion, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, the guy who gave us Boogie Nights and There will Be Blood, staring Philip Seymore Hoffman.  I get tingles just thinking about it.

6. Django Unchained

Quentin Taratino releasing a film is always a reason to get stoked.  This one's a western shot on the same set they used for the television show Deadwood.  Something tells me this is going to be a violent gun-blazing mess.  Oh yeah.

7. Moonrise Kingdom

Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors because his films are so Wes-Anderson-ish and because you know going in that you'll be treated to a carnival of pleasures. The imagery alone will keep me super-charged and dreaming with quirky characters for months.

8.  Inside Llewyn Davis

The Coen brothers return to making a musical in the same way they did with O Brother Where Art Thou? except this time they're changing the genre from bluegrass Americana to '60s Folk. 

9. Looper

If you've seen Brick or The Brother's Bloom you'll know why I'm super excited to see this third film from Rian Johnson.  This one is a science fiction film about time travel and hit men.  Sign me up.   

10. Cloud Atlas

I had a hard time between this and the Avengers but ended up choosing this for the tenth spot because it's either going to be epic amazing or an awesome failure.  Either way I have to see it. 

Honorable Mentions: The Avengers, The Hunger Games, Prometheus and Men In Black 3

No comments:

Post a Comment