My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

Based on what many consider the greatest spy novel ever written is this stylishly produced thriller starring an all-star cast that would make any director drool.  It's good to see that the author of the book, John le Carre is involved and I must applaud the screenwriters (Bridget O'Connor and Peter Straughan) for compressing a great, complex story into two hours.  Still two hours is not really enough time and I felt many parts were rushed.  Tomas Alfredson, the Swedish director who gave us Let the Right One In, greats tension with subtext and frames every moment with a stark '70s lens.   Gary Oldman, who plays master spy George Smiley, has received an Oscar nomination for best actor for a performance that's as strained and exact like a razor blade.  Perhaps this great actor will finally receive the accolade he deserves.   In many ways this is a good film but I feel as a mystery it could have used more misdirection and development.   A better adaptation is probably the BBC mini-series starting Alec Guinness, but since that's not available this is the best we have.  Or just read the novel which is always the more recommended choice.  Grade: B+. 

No comments:

Post a Comment