My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Guard (2011)

I have to be honest. When I heard about this film by John Michael McDonagh I got him confused with his brother Martin McDonagh who made In Bruges.  It was only afterward that I realized they were two different guys. What a talented duo.  This dark comedy deals with a Irish police chief, named Gerry Boyle, who's across from Archie Bunker and Dirty Harry.  Brenden Gleeson plays the character just right and his chemistry with Don Cheadle, who plays an American FBI agent investigating drug smugglers, is about as perfect an odd couple as you could want.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment