My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, February 6, 2012

A Better Life (2011)

From the director who brought us American Pie and Twilight: New Moon comes a little drama that proves he might actually know what he's doing, a tightly-woven gem that makes me hope Chris Weitz continues on this path of important story telling.  Demián Bichir plays an illegal alien from Mexico living in Los Angeles taking care of his only son.  He works as undocumented gardener, dreaming of a simple life, one that gives his son a good start in life away from gangs and the hard life.  The film is biased but in a subtle enough way to remain unoffensive.  It doesn't attack our immigration laws but instead focuses on one man's relationship with his son.  But Demian's performance is what really takes center stage here, it really is worthy of the Oscar nomination he received and it's not to be missed.  Grade: A- 

No comments:

Post a Comment