My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Upstream Color (2013)

I absolutely am in awe of this film. Shane Carruth is my new hero. I don’t even know where to begin because I want so badly to write a blog worthy of such an original bizarre drama. Let me clarify right from the beginning, this is not a film for everyone. Many people will look at this beautifully eerie film about a woman and a man finding each other after being victims to a spiritual thief who uses a strange parasite to make them do whatever he commands them to do as being too odd. And it is odd but in such a poetic good way. I truly believe you could find a multitude of themes and inspiring ideas in this work of art. It’s open to so many theories. Amy Seimetz co-stars with Carruth and their chemistry on screen is vibrant. I rooted for these people to recover their lives and in the end realized that they ended up richer human beings for going through what they did. It’s part mystery, part science fiction fable, part love story and part metaphysical poem. After seeing Primer, Carruth’s first film, I figured a new talent had emerged but I would have never guessed he’d go completely against the grain and produce a work of art this special. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment