My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Take This Waltz (2012)

Sarah Polley writes and directs this anti-love story (if you will) about a married woman played by Michelle Williams who becomes infatuated by a neighbor. Seth Rogan plays her husband and I don’t believe has ever been this sincere. At times exciting in a bad way, it’s mostly a heart breaking film that asks real questions about matrimony and what “real” love is about. I’ll be thinking about this film for a long time, especially how far (in a believable way) Michelle’s character takes her fling. Grade: A

Spoiler Alert
Many times Hollywood romanticizes affairs and makes them “beautiful”. That’s one of the aspects of this film I really respect. It fools you, thinking it’s doing what most affair movies do and that’s make you believe the two people having the affair are soul mates and that they need to be together. Yet here we see how truly devastating a mistake such a choice is. Yet what’s also inspiring is that while Michelle realizes she made a mistake at the end, she owns up to and decides to love herself and respect her own person more than a marriage can. Only then can she experience and enjoy what marriage is.

No comments:

Post a Comment