My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Miss Representation (2011)

This film is too important to be ignored. Yes, for those of us who are aware of the topic, it doesn’t highlight anything new, but for the rest of the world this film should be seen. Women are so badly misrepresented in our media today that it’s a shame. The problem isn’t about feminism or being politically incorrect. This is about half the population being degraded and labeled as secondary. Jennifer Siebel Newsom directs after she becomes a mother of a daughter. This is her call of arms and a hope that all our daughters grow up in a world where they are empowered not by their looks or sexiness but by their worth as human beings, their intelligence, their leadership skills and their ability to function without a predetermined label. Watch this film, even if you don’t have a daughter. I’m going to be a father to a son and I want him to see this film just as much. This is not a problem that only one gender faces; it’s a problem all of humanity needs to address. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment