My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, November 1, 2013

Fringe (Season 5)

Events prefaced in last season’s 19th episode ”Letters to Transit” continues on this the last season of the Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci’s created sci-fi detective show centered around concepts on the edges of science. Here we jump forward to the future where the Observers are no longer passive record takers but dictators who’ve taken our world prisoner. Released from amber, the Fringe team must work with Peter and Olivia’s adult daughter to save the world from these unbound-by-time beings. First let me get this out of the way: wow and thank you for taking the show into a new direction that really is exciting and refreshing. Just when the show was starting to feel formulaic they do a 180 and turn our heroes into the terrorists/rebels fighting the system. I really loved this season and feel like it was the best way to end the series. It’s unpredictable, emotional and completely original. My one complaint is that it felt Olivia’s character (who started out the main character) kind of takes back seat. That said the father and son story line between the Bishops is top-notch and I am in love with Georgina Haig who played Etta Bishop. The last episode was a tad too rushed for me (it deserved a two-hour closing) but ultimately it was still very satisfying. Now that it’s over I realize I’m going to miss this show a lot. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment