My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Twelve Chairs (1970)

I have wanted to watch this Mel Brooks comedy for some time. It’s an adaptation of authors Ilf and Petrov’s famous satire and the result is an amusing film lacking much of Brook’s comic magic. It’s basically a rat race kind of film about three men racing across Russia trying to locate one of 12 chairs that has some valuable jewels hidden in it. There are some funny moments but this isn’t nearly as great as his other classics like The Producers or Young Frankenstein. One of the reasons it didn’t do it for me was Dom DeLuise. Maybe in the sixties and seventies this guys was considered comedy gold but for me he’s just not that funny. His scenes were mostly annoying and made me wish for more Ron Moody. Not a disaster but certainly only for those curious. Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment