My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, November 22, 2013

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

I’m a big fan of Gary Ross and was bummed that he left this film series with Francis Lawrence attached to direct. I had yet been impressed with Mr. Lawrence, finding his biggest hit I am Legend a disappointing mess. How delighted I was to witness not only a better film than the first one (which I liked a lot) but one of the best book adaptations I’ve ever seen. I remember reading the book by Suzanne Collins and thinking it was almost un-filmable, that the action would have to be toned down some to make a plausible film. Wrong. This film matched my imagination almost to the exact detail. Katniss and Peeta survived the first Hunger Games and now they must parade about as celebrities, all to bolster the Capitol’s agenda. One problem: Katniss is a force of inspiration for a growing rebellion and that will force President Snow to change the rules. With an excellent cast of new characters and Jennifer Lawrence giving another memorable performance this series just became a contender for one of the best series made. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment