My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Oblivion (2013)

There’s a lot of hate for this Tom Cruise Science fiction thriller and I’m not sure why. It’s not a masterpiece but I was really entertained by it. Tom Cruise plays a repair man combination security guard who lives on a deserted, war-torn Earth in the future. He lives with his girlfriend played by Andrea Riseborough and it’s their one year mission to maintain various energy stations and keep them safe from leftover rogue aliens that caused Earth’s destruction. When they’re done with their mission, they will return to Saturn’s moon Titan where the rest of humanity lives out their days. Directed and written by Joseph Kosinski (of Tron: Legacy) it’s a fun dystopian adventure with many twists. Although I saw some of the twists coming as the story unfolded, I still enjoyed the overall package. As stated it’s not an instant classic, for there are some logic issues dealing with the aliens motivations, but I liked the premise enough to go with it. Andrea Riseborough, for me, stole the show; I really liked her performance. Olga Kurylenko is a bit young for the eternal young Tom Cruise but she executes her role fine enough. Morgan Freeman also stars and does his typical decent side character. Again no wow factor going on here but it’s still an enjoyable exercise of science fiction escapism. Grade: A-

Spoiler Alert
As mentioned above, the one issue I had with the film is that it’s not clear why the Alien invader needed to create clones that thought they were humans. If they could program a bunch of clones to be soldiers for them why not just program to maintain the power stations. I guess the human spirit eventually breaks free and that’s the point of Tom Cruise’s character’s journey. This might sound crazy to most people and I know it would never happen but I’d love to see a sequel. What you say? How could you make a sequel? After the alien space craft is destroyed the Earth is covered by all these clones who just realized that they’ve been deceived all this time. I’d love to see the point of view of a bunch of Tom Cruise characters trying to survive in this new world. Would they be outcasts? How would all the humans treat these clones? Would any of these clones be bad? There are so many possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment