My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

24 Hour Party People (2002)

British director Michael Winterbottom is a fascinating artist. Even his choice of films is odd. He’s done drama, science fiction and comedy. But when he’s doing comedy he smartly teams up with Steve Coogan. This is a semi-fictional retelling of Tony Wilson, reporter and music promoter, and how he helped support Manchester's music scene from the late ‘70s all the way to the ‘90s. The improvisational nature of the film doesn’t always work but the overall feel is that you’re watching a badly edited documentary. I enjoyed it but mostly because of Coogan’s performance, not the music history. If you like this music then you’ll probably be even more entertained than I was. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment