My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, November 11, 2013

The Prince and the Showgirl (1957)

Laurence Olivier directs and stars opposite the brilliant Marilyn Monroe in this adaptation of the play The Sleeping Prince (awful title by the way). If you’ve seen the 2011 film My Week with Marilyn then you might be familiar with this bland completely miss-matched romantic comedy. Marilyn might have been having problems while making this film but you can’t tell; her comic sensibilities are on target. Mr. Olivier on the other hand proves comedic acting isn’t for everyone, even amazingly talented Shakespearian actors. The two of them just don’t work together. Marilyn’s character saves this from being a waste of time. Her portrayal of a showgirl who flips the tables on a Prince expecting a one-night of passion and instead seducing the Prince is enjoyable to watch, but only when the Prince isn’t around.
Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment