My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, November 15, 2013

Animal Farm (1954)

This British animated film from Halas and Batchelor adapts George Orwell’s famous political satire in a rich and rewarding vision. It’s a grown up film about farm animals who revolt against their tyrant farmer only to fall under an equally dominating ruler. First there’s the rebellion, then the promise of enlightenment and lastly corruption. As I watched this I couldn’t help but think of what’s happening in Egypt right now. I guess we really don’t learn from our past and even brilliantly drafted stories that warn us does little to wake us out of our same old patterns. This film is still relevant today. That said I can’t help but wonder if anyone would be interesting in re-adapting this novel with the technology we have now. Pixar has never done an adaptation before but this would be a good choice if they ever wanted to take a big risk. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment