My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Women (1939)

I'm starting to realize that I'm not much of a George Cukor fan.  This anti-feminist melodrama about catty women and their game for husbands is about as dated as a record player.  Based on a famous Broadway play, the only aspect of this film worth mentioning is the decent acting and the slick witted dialogue.   A radiant Norma Shearer plays a woman who learns that her husband is cheating on her with the vile Joan Crawford.  Yet her husband, Stephen, is portrayed as Mr. Innocent and it's his wife who needs to stand up and fight for her man.  What?  There's even a scene where their daughter confesses watching her father mope around all sad.  Of course he marries Crawford only hours after the woman he supposedly loves gets a divorce in Reno.  What?  The big gimmick is that the entire cast is women and never does the audience see a man on the screen.  I'm sure back then this was a wildly innovated idea, now it's just trite.  Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment