My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Man On A Ledge (2012)

A fun thriller about a ex-police officer turned escaped fugitive who climbs out on the ledge of a building to prove that he's innocent for the crime he was put in prison for.  How you ask?  Well, that would be giving it away and because of this film's structure it's pretty entertaining.  Sam Worthington is a fine example of the everyman and Ed Harris plays a subtle but sinister villain.  But the two who steal the show are Jamie Bell and Génesis Rodríguez, who both sizzle with sexual chemistry and laughs.  Grade: B+

Spoiler Alert: There's one flaw that keeps this from being a A picture and that's the very concept of Sam stealing the diamond to prove that he never stole it in the first place.  It's not enough to steal the diamond he must show that Ed Harris still has it.  As I watched this film, it's clear Sam and his family didn't really have a plan beyond that.  If he showed up at a press conference and said, "See I have the jewel but I didn't steal it the first time," it will just look like he did steal it the first time and now he's trying to fool everyone.  I wish the writers would have established what Sam planned to do after his brother stole the diamond.   

No comments:

Post a Comment