My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Vampire Diaries (Season 1)

I almost wasn't able to keep watching this television program about a high schooler in love with a vampire.  The whole concept is getting old.  Why is it teenage girls find it so romantic to fall in love with 100 year old dead guys?  Is it the bad boy image?  What's been done before and better is really stale here and by episode five I was ready to give up.   Yet there is a mystery about Mystic Falls and the Salvatore brothers that intrigued me so I stayed with it.  The end result is that I was entertained and I am interested to check out Season 2.  I hate the CW soap opera vibe and the annoying CW music soundtrack fading in and out of scenes, but the acting is decent and the characters are becoming more developed.  Sometimes I wish they'd cast actual teenagers for these shows about teenagers, but I guess that's not something the producers have any control over.  (You can't stop an actor from aging.)  Also it would be nice if they would cast actors that looked like the teenagers I grew up with instead of casting from a modeling agency of Hollywood hotties.  But that's why these shows succeed, the audience of these shows want to fawn over beautiful people, so obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.  Still behind all the usual vampire lore and eye-rolling melodrama I must admit this could become a guilt pleasure in time.  We'll see. Grade: B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment