My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Apple Dumpling Gang (1975)

This Disney comedy western still holds up.  Don Knotts and Tim Conway are a great comic duo as bumbling thieves and Bill Bixby and Susan Clark prove to be a charming couple.  The three kids are as cute as you'd expect but keeping that realistic look that is missing in today's family films.  The plot is simple but fun: a gambler cares for three orphan kids and tries to find a way to get rid of them.  Obviously in the process he becomes fond of them just like a father.  Okay, it's corny at times and, yes, very G rated, but it still entertains.  Maybe it won't win over any skeptical cinephiles out there but if for the rest of us (and there might not be that many of us left) it's a gold rush.  Grade: B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment