My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Lovers (1958)

What a daring film to be made in 1958; a film about a married woman who falls in love with a stranger when her car breaks down.  Shocking when it came out in its day, it was actually banned in some parts of the world.  It even triggered a famous and important U.S. Supreme Court ruling.   This is one of Louis Malle's best films and I loved it.  Sure it's unrealistic and kind of irresponsible but there's something really daring and beautiful about a woman following her passions.  Jeanne Moreau is striking and her performance is what makes this film work.  Grade: A.

Spoiler Alert:  Seeing someone thwart marriage and family for a possible disastrous relationship probably shouldn't be praised.  Jeanne is a mother for Godsakes!  But it's clear that her marriage isn't really that deep by the fact she's seeing a lover.  In my heart I feel like she isn't abandoning her child, that she is saving herself so she can have a more rewarding relationship with her child later.  She certainly needs to escape the life she has, one that prevents her from growing and feeling any real emotions.  Ah, but at the same time I don't think Malle really cares what the audience thinks.  It's a celebration of love and everything else is for naught.      

No comments:

Post a Comment