My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, August 3, 2012

The Tempest (2010)

It seems that Julie Taymore was more interested in creating a visual dynamic circus than telling a compelling story.  That's not to say she fails in this adaptation of Shakespeare's play, it's just in creating a specticale she forgot about the story a little bit.  Helen Mirrem, Alfred Molina, Alan Cumming, Tom Conti and surprisingly Russell Brand pull off Shakespeare quite well while the rest of the cast misses the mark, reminding the audience how hard the Bard's language is to some actors.  I enjoyed the change of gender for Prospero into Prospera and many of the special effects work.   But I hope that this isn't the last time this terrific play gets adapted.  I'd love for a more seasoned director of Shakespeare tackle this someday for the silver screen.  Until then I'd recommend read the play and only check this one out if you're curious.  Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment