My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I Want To Live! (1956)

Robert Wise directs a film that takes us into the mind of a social misfit convicted of murder and who is sent to the gas chamber.  Susan Hayward's memorable performance as Barbara Gordon is incredible on many levels (even if her voice kind of drives me up the wall).  Supposedly a true story, I've come to learn that this script takes many liberties with the true story, even to the point of making us believe Mrs. Gordon is Innocent.  Regardless, this is a honest and an intense picture that delivers into the morality of capital punishment and pulls off one of the more gusty endings I've seen from a film made during this time.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment